Heart-healthy Apple Pie Oatmeal
If you love apple pie as much as we do, you will love this Apple Pie Oatmeal. You can enjoy this warm, satisfying and delicious breakfast in about 10 minutes, any time of the year! Cooked stovetop with a few ingredients like fresh apples, cinnamon, date paste as sweetener, and old fashioned oats.
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 medium crisp apple 1 1/2 cups diced
- 2 tbsp date paste OR 2 tbsp pure maple syrup OR 2 tbsp panela
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup low-fat milk OR non-dairy milk of choice
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 6 tsp chia seeds (1 tsp per serving) ground
- Core and dice apples.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the apples, spices, date paste, and salt.
- Cook for 3 minutes until the apples are softened.
- Pour in the water, turn the heat up to high, and bring to a low boil.
- Add the oats and reduce the heat to medium/medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Divide into bowls and top with 1 tsp ground chia seeds per serving and a splash of milk.
- Refrigerate left-overs for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in a pan or small pot, stovetop.