Easy Oat Bread (no yeast and no kneading)
Oats are highly nutritious and linked to many health benefits. However, some store bought oat bread might contain refined flours. By making this simple no-rise recipe, you are guaranteed freshness with all the right ingredients.
- 500 ml plain yoghurt (or kefir) (18fl oz)
- 2 tsp chia seeds + 1 tbsp warm water to make 'chia egg'
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil or olive oil
- 2 500ml porridge oats I use gluten free oats
- 2 tsp baking soda aka. sodium bicarbonate
- handful of oat bran (optional) I use psyllium husk
- handful mixed seeds (optional) save a few for the topping
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Mix the yoghurt in a bowl with along with the "chia egg" and oil to combine.
- Then mix in the porridge oats, bicarbonate of soda and oat bran, if using.
- Line with parchment or paper or lightly oil a 900g (2lb) loaf tin (or 2 small loaf tins) and tip in the oat mixture and even out the top by pressing down lightly with a fork.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown, then turn out of the tin and carefully put back in the oven directly on the oven shelf for another five to 10 minutes to dry out the crust.
- IMPORTANT: Leave to cool on a wire rack before cutting into slices to serve.
NOTE: you can also make a savoury version by adding rosemary or turmeric and spices