Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This is a low-carb version of the classic Broccoli Cheddar Soup. It is creamy and satisfying. A comfort food the whole family will love. This soup may be part gluten-free, diabetic, or Keto diet.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 3 carrots peeled and roughly chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups broth chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce gluten-free
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1.5 tsp sea salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp *optional - red pepper flakes crushed. Only add if you like spice.
- Heat a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add butter and stir to melt. When butter stops foaming, add the onions.
- Cook onions, stirring frequently until onions begin to appear translucent and start to brown on the edges. Stir in the garlic. Cook for two minutes.
- Stir in the cream cheese and about 1/2 cup of the heavy whipping cream.
- After the cream cheese melts, stir in the remaining heavy cream, prepared mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and optional crushed red pepper flakes.
- Stir in the broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the broccoli stems and carrots, stirring occasionally, until stems and carrots are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in 3 cups of water and add broccoli florets. Continue to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Use an immersion hand blender, puree the mixture until completely smooth.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese. Taste and add salt and pepper, if desired. Taste again and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
When using an immersion blender, it is most effective to slowly move the blender around the pot to get everything evenly pureed.